Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lunch anyone?

Do you see a trend of my conversation always having food involved?  I didn't realize how much I think of food!  So here is a twist on food...how about how food intermingles with so many different things, other than to sustain life? What about a big bowl of chips and salsa? Have you ever noticed how that little snack in the middle of the table builds relationships in good conversation?  You get to know friends better - you each get a turn at talking, because at some point someone always has their mouth full! I know, that doesn't stop SOME people....but you can usually sneak a few words in, right?  How about family conversations.  Some families never talk - but at Thanksgiving Dinner....how long does it take you to savor the flavor of the meal that took a family effort to prepare? Then, to sit around the table enjoying conversation as you nibble on whatever is still sitting in front of you? PLEASE tell me I am NOT the only one doing this!!!  Business dinners...now that is one that I was worried about at first.  I thought to myself, "how am I going to sit with a bunch of people I don't know for that long and survive?" Guess what? That dinner was an event of a lifetime! It was at this great Italian place - it didn't hurt that I didn't have to worry about the check at the end of the night either....but anyway - we had two large round tables, only a few people really knew each other, some we were meeting for the first time...each course served in it's own time, allowing those minutes of chit chat to go on through the night for over four hours!  It didn't seem that long, yet great relationships were made through that one meal of getting to know each other...most of us only to actually see each other that one time..knowing one another only through the telephone opportunities because our places we call home were all different and spread across the United States and Canada.  I was so happy to have had that opportunity presented with a wonderful meal where we made wonderful friends and work associates.  Now, I don't mean to go on and on, but what about the Ice Cream Man back in the olden days??? What an event THAT was!  To hear the music coming down the street and everyone knew they were getting an awesome treat... we all ran in search for what change we could find so we could all meet up by the curb-side as we all await and discuss with excitement what delicious delight we were going to get on that hot summer day.  Kids running from all directions in their swim suits or shorts, tank tops and flip flops, no matter what they were doing...they would all come running at the "jewelry box music" in the big white ice cream truck.  Now I don't want anyone to think I plan my entire life around a food opportunity, but it sure doesn't hurt to have it around!  So when you have a day you only have an hour or so to spend with a friend??? Why not do lunch?
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment